4 hrs 30 mins
Miss Erin's Note:
Posted in response to a request. From "the Low-Carb Cookbook" by Fran McCullough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, diced (or ground for chili)
- 1/2 cup mild red chile
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee (or 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules)
- 3 cups water (as needed)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1In a large dutch oven, heat the oil and cook the onion over medium heat until it is soft.
- 2Add the garlic and cook until it's transparent.
- 3Add the meat in several batches along with the chili, cumin, oregano and paprika.
- 4Remove each batch to a large bowl as it's cooked.
- 5Stir and cook until the meat is browned, then put all the meat back in the pot and add the vinegar, coffee and enough water just to cover the meat.
- 6Add the salt and cayenne and stir well.
- 7cover the pot and cook over low heat for 2 hours, stirring from time to time.
- 8Remove the lid and simmer the final hour.
- 9Skim off any fat on the surface.
- 10Add the cornmeal and stir in well.
- 11Cook for 15 more minutes and serve hot in deep bowls.
- 12Garnish with sour cream, chopped cilantro and shredded cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bowl of Red ( Texas Chili Con Carne )
Serving Size: 1 (370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 637.3
- Calories from Fat 435
- Total Fat 48.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 156.4 mg
- Sodium 1013.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 42.7 g