Thick Chili Con Carne
photo by Redsie
- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups kidney beans, undrained
- 1 1⁄3 cups condensed tomato soup
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cook ground beef and onion in 3 T hot butter until browned.
- Add the kidney beans and tomato soup and cook 10 minutes.
- Combine the chili powder, flour, water and salt and make into paste. Blend into ground beef mixture.
- Bring to a boil and then cover and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, 45 minutes. Depending on your taste, feel free to add more or less chili powder. Serve hot -- with crackers or warm bread.
- If you like your chili less thick, just add the chili powder in step three and omit the flour, water and salt.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Nice recipe. I did make a few modifications since my BF isn't crazy about beans and I like more tomato flavor: only one can of beans, and increased the meat to 1 1/4 lbs. Also added 8 oz. tomato paste and half of one yellow pepper, diced. I did add the salt, but skipped the water and flour. Ended up with a good, flavorful chili - thanks!
This was yummy! I didn't have condensed soup, so I used a can of tomato sauce. I also opted to follow step 5 and make my chili less thick. I used 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder and it was perfect for me, but I'm a bit of a wimp. If you like things more spicy, 2 tbsp would be the way to go. Thanks for posting Lainey6605!
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I want to thank all of you who review the recipes I post - good or bad. It's always good to get feedback and helpful tips and I really appreciate them all! I try to send a note when someone reviews one of my recipes, but I don't always get the chance. Please know that I really enjoy reading the reviews. I also love all the photos everyone posts, too! Thanks so much. Happy Cooking!