Recipe by Karen19
This recipe is at least 70 years old. I received it from an elderly woman in her neighborhood who got it as a newlywed from her mother-in-law. It's tried and true and good for you!
Top Review by Chef SuzyQ
I had some garden tomatoes and was trying to decide what to do with them when I came across this recipe. It is FABULOUS and really a keeper. These stewed tomatoes reminded me of the Rotel ones that I normally buy. It was my first time using a water bath to can, and the directions made it easy. Thanks for sharing this--I'll be using it every year!
- 12 quarts tomatoes, scalded and quartered
- 3 cups chopped green peppers
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 1⁄4 cups chopped celery
- 4 tablespoons celery salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 6 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped