Stewed Tomatoes and Garbanzo Beans
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, sliced in half lengthwise, and then thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, do not drain
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan. Sauté the onion and garlic for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions start to brown.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover. Serve.
Join The Conversation
Yum, Easy, tasty recipe for a side dish or a main dish. I served it tonight as a side with meatloaf and a green salad. I did add a couple of dashes of red pepper flakes and sprinkled each serving with Parmesan. Will be great as a vegetarian main dish. A good recipe for making variations. Add a little corn or sliced sausage or fresh spinach and on and on.
Great versatile recipe. I love that it's so fast and easy and it only uses a few ingredients that I usually already have in my pantry. My 18 month old daughter loved it too. I served it as a main vegetarian dish with cous cous. I also added some oregano and parsley and sprinkled it with cheese. Next time I think I will saute some sliced zucchini and use a bit of feta cheese for extra flavor. Yummy!
Oh I really loved this! Who'd have thought canned tomatoes could taste this good? I halved this recipe and served it as a side to honey-dijon chicken over rice. Just wonderful. Will definitely go in my regular rotation. Love garbanzo's and tomatoes. Add onion and garlic to the mix and I'm in heaven! Thanks for posting!