photo by leroywalk49
- Peel the tomatoes by soaking them in boiling water for one minute. Gently pull away the skin.
- Place tomatoes in a large pot and add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and boil gently for 15 minutes, until tomatoes are tender.
- Serve with croutons.
- I like my stewed tomatoes with toast and butter.
- Whenever I am sick, this is the dish I crave! The above recipe is from the book out of print cookbook "cajun country cookin" by John and Glenna Uhler Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Watch the amount of water you add. You can always add more. Sometimes tomatoes can be very liquid especially those from hothouses. Otherwise good basic stew. Added lots of fresh herbs - parsley, basil, cilantro from the garden. Also try a bit of honey instead of sugar. You need only a dribble and adds another layer of flavour.
This recipe was great. I used 3/4 of suggested sugar and red bell pepper. Wanted a thicker base for accompanying lyonnaise so added canned tomato sauce and tubed tomato paste. Got rave reviews! Definitely a new staple. Will add red onion next time based on the other reviews. One question, has anyone frozen?
Good, but needs tweaking. First of all like one of the reviewers said, start out slow with the sugar. I began with one tablespoon of sugar and instead relied on the salt content to bring out the sweetness of the tomatoes. I also added some red onion and together with the additional salt, it was fabulous; no need for all that sugar.