Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
Posted per BIL's request.
- 1⁄2 lb salt cod fish
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large idaho potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Place the cod in a large glass bowl, add enough cold water to cover; soak at least 12 hours, changing water twice; drain and pat dry.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat; add in the onion and garlic; stir 1 minute.
- Add in about 2 tablespoons flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Add in broth and whisk until the mixture is smooth; add in half-and-half; season with pepper and continue to whisk until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes; then remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°; grease a 1 to 1 ½ quart casserole.
- Cut the cod into ¼-inch strips; dredge in remaining flour, tapping off excess.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat; add the cod, cook 1 minute on each side; drain on paper towels.
- Peel the potatoes, cut into thin discs, and arrange half the discs over the bottom of the casserole.
- Layer half the cod over the potatoes and pour half the sauce over the top.
- Repeat with the remaining potatoes, cod, and sauce.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top; cover and bake 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake until nicely browned, about 25 minutes.
This recipe really compliments the salt cod well. The garlic smell in my kitchen, from the sauce, was amazing! The potatoes took on the cod and sauce flavours. My newfie boyfriend loved it and definitely wants me to cook this again!!!