1/1 Photo of Borracho Beans
3 hrs 20 mins
A traditional Mexican bean soup, kicked up with serrano peppers and beer. This is a very forgiving recipe - add, subtract, substitute to your heart's content.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sort through the beans. Look for small rocks and debris.
- 2Place in a large bowl and rinse several times. Lift beans out by hand into a clean bowl of water. Do not pour beans as there may be sand and debris at the bottom of rinse bowl.
- 3Fill bowl with water and soak beans overnight. Drain off soaking water.
- 4In a large soup pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and add beans & beer.
- 5Lower heat to simmer, cover pan and cook about 2 hours.
- 6When the beans are light brown and soft, add salt, garlic and serrano peppers.
- 7In a skillet over medium-high heat, fry bacon pieces and onion until bacon is crisp. Add to beans.
- 8Lastly, add the cilantro and fresh tomatoes. Simmer for another hour. (either peel the tomatoes first or skim off bits of peel as they float to the top during cooking.).
- 9Serve with flour or corn tortillas. Cornbread is great, too!
- 10*If you are too busy to babysit a pot of beans, after the overnight soak, simmer in your crock pot; 3 cups of beans for a large crock pot, 2 cups of beans for a smaller crock pot. Cooking time for pre-soaked beans = 5-6 hours on low heat.".
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Borracho Beans
Serving Size: 1 (568 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 721.8
- Calories from Fat 318
- Total Fat 35.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 51.4 mg
- Sodium 661.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.8 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 30.3 g