Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This exciting recipe is the world-famous, Thomas Keller's version of this fantastic sauce. Recipe found in May-June edition of Veranda magazine.
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
- 1 ounce mushroom, button, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, small, peeled and crushed
- 1 carrot, small, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf, small
- 1⁄2 cup cabernet sauvignon wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups veal stock (available frozen at specialty food stores)
- 1 pinch black peppercorns
- In a small pot, sweat mushrooms, garlic, carrot and shallots until soft.
- Add parsley, thyme bay leaf and wine and cook- stirring- until all liquid evaporates (do NOT boil!).
- Add veal stock and continue cooking. Stir constantly until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add peppercorns and continue to reduce until sauce is of desired consistency.
- Strain through sieve. Discard solids.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Divide sauce among 8 plates and place one grilled rib-eye steak on top of sauce.
- Savor the flavor!