Recipe by AB_Fan
Our family's favorite spaghetti sauce. Add mushrooms if you like. When I don't have a large can of tomato sauce, I use a 6-oz can tomato paste and an extra cup of broth. I have substituted buffalo for beef in this recipe; I've also used two pounds of the same meat. It is versatile and I will use whatever I happen to have on hand that day. Great recipe! Well worth the time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 carrots, finely diced
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 cups beef or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute carrots, celery, and onion in olive oil for 10 min over medium-low heat until cooked through but not browned.
- Add garlic, meats, and salt/pepper to taste. Cook until no red remains in meats.
- Add broth; cook for 10 mins over medium heat.
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook, simmering gently, for 2 hours You may add more salt/pepper as needed.
- If you’re not using all the sauce now, separate it into three containers and chill/freeze until ready to use. Step 6 is for 1/3 of the sauce.
- (If using cold sauce, bring to a boil first, then) Add ½ c cream or half-and-half, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve hot over spaghetti or noodles.
- Makes three portions, which serve 2-4 people each.