2 hrs 30 mins
This is a family recipe from my birth country. It is absolutely unusual and fabulous for potluck dinners as the meat mixture and rice should be served at room temperature to enhance flavours. The accompaniments complete the exotic presentation of the dish. Your guests will be begging for the recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 slices white bread, 3/4 inch thick
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon mild to medium heat curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup seedless raisin
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 (7/8 ounce) packet brown gravy mix
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk (use the milk from the bread soaking)
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- ground nutmeg
- 4 bay leaves
Yellow Almond Rice
- 1Soak the bread in the cup of milk, set aside.
- 2In a large, non-stick skillet, brown the ground beef.
- 3Add the onions, garlic, curry powder and turmeric and cook until the onions are soft.
- 4Add sugar, vinegar, raisins, apple, salt and pepper.
- 5Pour in water and gravy mixture and cook gently until it starts to thicken.
- 6Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- 7Gently squeeze excess milk from the bread (add the milk to the custard topping) and tear apart into chunks.
- 8Fold into meat mixture together with the beaten egg.
- 9Place the meat mixture into a greased 9 x 9" casserole dish and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- 10Remove from oven and cool completely.
- 11Prepare custard topping.
- 12For the custard topping: beat together the milk, eggs and salt.
- 13Gently pour over the cooled meat mixture.
- 14Sprinkle with nutmeg and place bay leaves on top.
- 15Return casserole to oven until the top is set- about 20 to 25 minutes.
- 16Serve warm (not hot or better still, room temperature) alongside yellow rice and sambals on the side.
- 17Cook rice in the usual manner adding turmeric and salt to the water.
- 18Drain and fluff up, add almonds.
- 19Place the sambals in small serving dishes and allow guests to help themselves.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bobotie - South African Cape Malay Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (444 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 661.5
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 219.9 mg
- Sodium 455.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 38.1 g