A good soup to use up various veggetables. From Chef Bobo's Good Food Cookbook, by Robert W. Surles.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 Red Bliss potatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 leek, halved lengthwise and chopped (white part only)
- 1 turnip, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- bouquet garni
- 5 zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups plum tomatoes
- 1 summer squash, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- fine sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a 3 quart soup pot over high heat until hot.
- Add potaoes, onion, celery, leek, turnip, shallots, and garlic.
- Stir the vegetabls around until they begin to cook but don't turn brown.
- Add the Vegetable Stock and the Boquet Garni to the soup pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmering and cook for 45 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, tomatoes, summer squash, and green beans to soup pot.
- Simmer 15 minutes more.
- Stir in the vinegar.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bouqet Garni: Bundle three sprigs fresh thyme, 3 sprigs fresh parsley, 1 bay leaf, and 1 tablespoon black peppercorns together in several thicknesses of cotton cheesecloth.
- Tie with string.
Bouquet Garni certainly brings out all the flavours whilst cooking soup 10 points