Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This pasta has a beautiful blush colour and the taste is fabulous. A little gem I found in the Taste of Home. Had to estimate the amount of pasta as it called for 1/2 package. I have also added shrimp or mussels to this on occasion.
- 1 (350 g) box penne pasta
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream (divided 1/4 C)
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Cook penne as per package directions.
- In large skillet over medium heat, cook onions in butter for 8-10 minute
- Add thyme, basil, salt and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add 1/2 C cream, broth and tomato paste.
- Cook and stir until well blended.
- Combine flour and remaining 1/4 C cream until smooth.
- Gradually stir into onion mixture.
- Bring to boil, cook and stir continuously for 2 minutes to thicken.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Toss with noodles and additional Parmesan.
Easy to make and it had a nice flavor, although none of us really raved about it. I made mine meatless, so maybe next time I'll try it with some ground chicken or something. Thanks.
Buy bottled pasta sauce again after eating this?? This was absolutely fantastic and I did end up using just over half of a box of penne pasta that was over 400 g. The one thing I really had to change was the onion. When I went to retrieve it, i realized I was out. So, trying to think quickly, I used 4 tablespoons of butter and about 5 small garlic cloves diced up. I sauteed the garlic in the butter and added some onion powder. Then, I followed the rest of the recipe exactly as stated. It was soooo good and while I'm an onion lover, I don't know that I'd go back to the original way you posted it because we're garlicd lovers even more. I servfed this with homemade garlic bread and next time will either have steamed brocolli or a salad. This recipe definiteloy went into the "keeper" category. I can't wait to experiment with putting shrimp or even grilled chicken breast in it.
Chose to make this knowing I had tons of boxed pasta...apparently every kind except penne! Made with veggie farfalle and it was amazing! I decreased the amount of thyme and basil so my boys wouldn't freak out on the amount of "green stuff" and it still had wonderful flavor. I loved that it was made and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Will be making this again and again! Made for PAC Spring 2014.