Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 20 mins
The crust part of this pie is labour intensive but well worth it. I found this recipe in The Province newspaper several years ago and must make it every year during blueberry season. Best made a day ahead. Cooking time is mostly chilling time.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup Butter Flavor Crisco
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ice cold water
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 6 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and well drained (separated)
- Orange pastry:.
- Combine flour, orange zest,(I use fresh from the orange used for the juice and lots of it) sugar and salt in a mixing bowl; stir to blend. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut butter into flour mixture until all resembles coarse meal. Combine orange juice with water or use 3 Tbsps orange juice. Add liquid by Tbsp, mixing gently with a fork, just until dough begins to hold together in clumps. If necessary, an extra spoonful of water may be added. Gather dough up and shape into a flat, round disk.
- Chill at least 1 hour.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough to about 1/8" thickness, in big enough circle to overhang 9" pie plate by almost 2". Ease pastry into pie plate being careful not to stretch it. Fold excess under, crimp decoratively. Prick bottom and sides.
- Freeze about 20 minutes while oven pre-heats to 375°F.
- Bake shell for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack while you make the filling.
- For the filling:.
- Stir together the sugar and cornstarch in heavy-bottomed 3 quart saucepan. Stir in orange juice and 2 cups of the blueberries. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat until mixture is thickened and just comes to the boil (7 to 10 minutes). Remove from the heat and gently fold in remaining berries. Mound filling into cooled crust and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- For real decadence top with whipped cream.