Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A light and flavourful cake. I prefer my loaf plain, but I've included a glaze for anyone that likes glaze.
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup butter, melted & cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Optional Lemon Glaze
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup icing, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Butter two 8 x 4 inch loaf pans and line the bottom and two long sides of the pans with parchment paper. I use one sheet and let it overhang a bit, then use the parchment to lift the loaf out of the pan when ready.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until mixed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and stir with a fork.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, alternating with the milk. Mix just until combined.
- In the bowl that you mixed the flour in, add the blueberries, lemon zest and 4 tablespoons of flour, tossing gently until coated. The flour will help prevent the berries from sinking to the bottom.
- Carefully and quickly fold the berries into the batter, then divide the batter equally between the prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for between 45 - 55 minutes, or until a cake taster inserted into the centre of the loafves comes out clean.
- Cool the loaves in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan using the parchment paper handles and let cool on a rack.
- LEMON GLAZE:.
- Combine the juice and icing sugar in a bowl and beat with a mixer until smooth. Drizzle the top of the cooled loaf with the glaze, letting it pour down the sides.