Recipe by Mims & Squims
Wild blueberries in the sauce are smaller than farm grown berries, but packed full with more flavor. This is one of those large thick creamy cheesecakes that most people special order. Now you can make your own! Note: time does not include overnight chilling
For the crust
- 2 1⁄3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
For the filling
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 large organic valley grade a extra large brown eggs
- 1⁄4 cup organic valley reduced-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (Organic)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest (Organic)
For the topping
- 1⁄2 cup blueberry preserves (Organic)
Directions See How It's Made
- Please note: Begin preparing the cheesecake one day before you plan to serve it.
- To prepare the crust:.
- 1. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375°F Wrap outside of 10-inch-diameter springform pan with heavy-duty foil.
- 2. Food Processor Method: Combine all ingredients in processor. Blend using on/off turns just until crumbs are moist.
- To prepare without a food processor (as we did) -- Leave graham crackers in their plastic sleeve packaging and place into a heavy duty plastic zip lock bag. You may use a rolling pin to create the crumbs. Or set up the kids with clean socks and let them crush the graham crackers with their feet! Beware that the plastic bag doesn't tear or burst. This is a great way for kids to help out in the kitchen and get their "sillies" out before the serious tasks of cracking eggs and measuring milk begin.
- Place crumbs in a medium mixing bowl, add melted Organic Valley Unsalted Cultured Butter and organic sugar. Mix well.
- 3. Press crumb mixture firmly onto bottom and 2 inches up sides of prepared pan. Bake until crust begins to brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer crust to rack and cool. Maintain oven temperature.
- Make filling:.
- 1. Using electric mixer, beat room temperature Organic Valley Cream Cheese and organic sugar in large mixing bowl until well blended. Beat in organic flour. Add Organic Valley Large Eggs one at a time, beating just until combined. Beat in Organic Valley 2% Lowfat Milk and organic vanilla. Carefully pour filling into crust.
- 2. Place springform pan in large roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come 1 inch up sides of pan. Bake cheesecake until just set in center and top is slightly puffed and golden brown, about 1 hour. Turn off oven; keep door closed. Let cheesecake stand in oven 1 hour. Remove cheesecake from roasting pan. Refrigerate until cold, at least 6 hours. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Make topping:.
- Stir organic blueberry spread (we used Cascadian Farms) in large skillet (not cast iron) over low heat until melted. Remove from heat. Add blueberries; toss to coat. Spoon blueberry mixture over top of cake, spreading evenly. Chill until cold, at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- Now here's the fun part! Run small sharp knife around sides of cake to loosen. Release pan sides. Transfer cake to platter. Cut into wedges, wiping the knife after each cut. Add extra blueberry sauce on each individual piece if desired (the more the merrier!).