These cookies have been served for over 75 years in the quiet village of Orkney Springs, VA. We have stayed in this retreat center called Shrine Mont where people come for rest, devotion, and fellowship. A couple of things set these cookies apart: butter and shortening ensure a thick cookie, soft in the middle, with a touch of almond extract.
- Note: The recipe initially calls for 2 1/2 cups flour, but with the added note if you want them more softer and rounder cookie to add 1/4 cup flour. I add the 1/4 cup making it 2 3/4 cups total.
- Cream shortening, butter, sugars, then eggs and vanilla and almond extracts.
- Blend dry ingredients and add to mixture.
- Stir in Chocolate chips.
- Drop by large tablespoons (I use cookie scoop) onto ungreased cookie sheet, leaving 2-inches room in between to allow cookies to spread. I press down lightly with a measuring cup to bake more uniform cookies).
- Bake at 375° for 10 minutes until lightly brown.
- Makes 2-3 dozen cookies depending on size.