Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe in an old church cookbook that my aunt in North Carolina gave me.
Make and share this Blue Ridge Mountain Cornbread recipe from Food.com.
- In bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- In separate bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until well combined.
- Add cornmeal, milk, and flour-mix well.
- Add egg whites, butter, salt and baking powder-stir to combine.
- Pour into greased cake pan, bake at 450 degrees for approximately 25 minutes, or until golden brown and cake tester comes out clean.
Those church cookbooks often have delicious recipes...and this is one of them. I have never beaten egg whites for corn bread before, and it worked well to make the corn bread nice and light. I noticed that there was very little butter or oil, and was pleased to discover that the bread baked up nice and moist. Seems like the perfect, classic recipe for Southern corn bread. Thanks for discovering it and sharing it with us.
Sorry, I was not crazy for this cornbread. To be fair, though, I really prefer my cornbread sweeter and moister which is why I give it 3 stars and not 2. I did note how beating the egg whites made the bread 'fluffier'; that was a nice touch.