Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from the Blue Owl Restaurant & Bakery in historic Kimmswick, MO, an excellent homestyle restaurant. Simple to make & very delicious.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped mild green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, undrained
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups canned chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken, to taste
- 3 cups grated monterey jack cheese (about 12 oz.)
- Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add onions and saute until translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, then chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne and saute 2 minutes. Add undrained beans and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add chicken and cheese to chili and stir until cheese melts. Season to taste with salt and pepper and ladle into bowls. FOR FREEZING: Pour soup into a rigid container (or freezer bag), label and freeze. To reheat, thaw in refrigerator overnight or simply put frozen soup into a largepot and gently heat, with lid on and stirring often, till heated through.