1/1 Photo of Blue Owl Restaurant and Bakery Turtle Pecan Cheesecake
Sue Lau's Note:
The Blue Owl is a very cute, tea room type of establishment, in Kimmswick Missouri. Kimmswick is a very small and special little town that has lots of shops filled with antiques and gifts. I am sure you know the type. The also have one of the older St. Louis riverboats there, the Huck Finn, I believe. Not at the restaurant! But down the street at the Mississippi river bank. I often visit Kimmswick when I go back to see my parents, who live not too far from there. The Blue Owl serves foods besides desserts, but it is the desserts they wow everyone with for both size and taste and the reason the Blue Owl is slightly "famous".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Crust
For the Filling
- 1 (14 ounce) bag vanilla caramels
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted (see note)
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsel, melted
For the Chocolate Topping
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk (see note)
For the garnishes
- whipped cream (for garnish) (optional)
- pecan halves, dipped in caramel (for garnish) (optional)
- 1For crust: Combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter; press mixture on the bottom and sides of a buttered 10-inch springform pan (2 inches deep). Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven 10 to 15 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- 2For filling: In heavy saucepan, melt the caramels with evaporated milk over low heat, stirring frequently until smooth. (If desired, dip a few pecans into caramel mixture and set aside to use later as a garnish.) Pour caramel mixture over cooled crust; top with toasted pecans.
- 3Combine cream cheese and sugar, mixing on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla. Blend in melted chocolate. Pour mixture over pecans and caramel in crust, starting at outer edge.
- 4Bake in a 350 degree F oven 1 hour and 20 to 25 minutes, or until edges begin to crack. Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature for 30 to 40 minutes. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove sides of pan and loosen cheesecake with spatula.
- 5For chocolate topping: Melt chocolate morsels on medium heat in microwave. Add evaporated milk (or 2 percent milk and butter; see note). Stir until mixture is smooth.
- 6Spread chocolate topping over chilled cheesecake. Garnish with dollops of whipped cream and pecan halves dipped in caramel, if desired.
- 7Keep refrigerated.
- 8NOTE: If you don't want to open another can for the 3 tablespoons evaporated milk, you can substitute 3 tablespoons 2 percent milk and 2 teaspoons butter.
- 9To toast pecans: Put 1 tablespoon butter or margarine in a 9-inch pie plate. Microwave until melted. Stir in 1 cup pecans, tossing to coat. Microwave on HIGH 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blue Owl Restaurant and Bakery Turtle Pecan Cheesecake
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 890.6
- Calories from Fat 520
- Total Fat 57.8 g
- Saturated Fat 28.2 g
- Cholesterol 183.3 mg
- Sodium 600.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 61.4 g
- Protein 13.0 g