Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins are great with chili or other Tex-Mex dishes. Recipe adapted from www.1worldrecipes.com.
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup blue cornmeal (yellow corn meal can be substituted)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 2 jalapenos, stems and seeds removed, chopped (can add more if you like the muffins with extra heat)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease muffin tins.
- Mix together dry ingredients (flour- salt).
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in large bowl (buttermilk - jalapeños).
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Pour into muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Very good flavor, quite tasty - not hot even with the 3 tbs. diced jalapenos. I doubled the real bacon bits. They weren't as light as the usual corn muffins; however, they were tender. I think next time I'll substitute sour cream for the buttermilk to get a more moist texture.
YUM! YUM! YUM! I finally found a great recipe for blue cornmeal. These muffins were so tasty and easy to prepare. I used high quality store bought bacon bits. Real butter and jalapeno slices from a jar. OUTSTANDING! Will be making these often! Thanks Ellie! YaYa
These have a nice texture and even with 2 jalapenos are very mild. Not having bacon bits, I cooked 2 slices of bacon until crisp and then crumbled into the batter. I also grated some sharp cheddar cheese and added to the batter. Definately will up the amount of jalapenos next time around. These were great with brunch and I plan on having leftovers with some soup later in the week.