Melted Cheese, Corn and Bacon Muffins
Quick, easy muffins with melted cheese in the centre. Make sure you only just combine the wet and dry ingredients. Over stirring will result in tough, heavy muffins. Typically served in the Southern US.
- Ready In:
- 85 g polenta
- 125 ml milk
- 3 slices bacon, rind removed and bacon chopped finely
- 4 green onions, chopped finely
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 (310 g) can corn kernels, drained
- 1 (125 g) can creamed corn
- 100 g butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 50 g cheddar cheese, cut in 12 cubes
- 30 g cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Oil 12 hole muffin pan.
- Mix polenta and milk in small bowl, cover and stand for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook bacon in skillet, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add green onions to skillet, stirring, cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Sift flour and sugar into large bowl.
- Stir in corn kernels, cream corn and bacon mixture.
- Add melted butter, eggs and polenta mixture.
- Mix muffin batter only until just combined.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the batter into each prepared muffin pan.
- Place 1 piece of cheese into the center of each muffin pan hole.
- Divide remaining batter among muffin pan holes.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over each muffin.
- Bake uncovered in oven for about 20 minutes or until muffins are well risen.
- Turn muffins onto wire rack.
- Serve warm.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Oh, to die for, these were so good, and turned out perfectly!!!!! I intended them for lunchboxes, but they didn't get that far....they turned out to be a great snack for a rugby-watching DH on a rugby-full weekend! I was very very pleased with these, and will be making them again, thank you, Jewelies!Reply
These are Very Tasty, easy to make Muffins. I liked using the polenta instead of regular cornmeal,it works great along with the self rising flour. The green onions, bacon and corn added lots of flavor the melted cheese in the center was delicious. I did use splenda for baking instead of sugar. I served these with a Salad & a pot of Ham & Pinto Beans. Thank you Jewelies for sharing this delicious Muffin recipe.Reply
see 2 more