These muffins are great with chili or other Tex-Mex dishes. Recipe adapted from www.1worldrecipes.com.
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup blue cornmeal (yellow corn meal can be substituted)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 2 jalapenos, stems and seeds removed, chopped (can add more if you like the muffins with extra heat)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease muffin tins.
- Mix together dry ingredients (flour- salt).
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in large bowl (buttermilk - jalapeños).
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Pour into muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.