Recipe by **Jubes**
Blini are small leavened buckwheat pancakes, originally form Russia. They are a great base for many a canape. Traditionally they are served topped with sour cream and caviar. Great to make some as a starter or finger-food at a party. Can top with your favourite toppings and have a few different toppings. These will keep for a couple of days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container. Bring to room temperature before adding toppings. Serve at room temperature. These can be made gluten free. Buckwheat does not contain gluten.
Top Review by Ginger Rose
These tasted a lot better than the shop ones so I reckon this is going to become my blini recipe! I didn't use the buckwheat flour but they tasted fine without. What could be a better starter than blini with sourcream and smoked salmon????:-)!
- 1⁄2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour or 1⁄4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 30 g butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum, add if using gluten-free flour (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift dry ingredients into a medium sized bowl.
- Gradually whisk in the egg, buttermilk and melted butter.
- Cook in batches, Drop 2 teaspoon portions of butter into a non-stick heated frying pan. Cook the first side, turn and cook until browned on both sides.
- Place on wire racks to cool.
- Top with your favourite toppings- creme fraiche and salmon roe/caviar, creme fraiche mixed with some dill then topped with smoked salmon.