Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I love spicy Cajun foods. I love salmon. This recipe combines them both into one delicious sandwich.
- 6 (6 ounce) salmon fillets
- 6 French rolls, lightly toasted (hollow out some of inside bread to make more room for the filling)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cabbage
- 12 slices tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup cajun seasoning (use your favorite or recipe that follows)
- 2 -3 teaspoons cajun seasoning (to taste)
- salt and pepper, to taste
CAJUN SPICE INGREDIENTS
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- Heat a heavy skillet over high heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix mayonnaise with 1-2 teaspoons of Cajun spice.
- Taste, add salt, pepper or more Cajun spice as necessary (depending on your preference); put aside till later.
- Lightly oil both sides of the salmon and sprinkle with the remaining Cajun spice (the more you add, the hotter it becomes, so heads up).
- Place salmon in the hot skillet to blacken; cook 2 to 3 minutes on the first side, turn and finish cooking. Cooking time will vary based on the thickness of fish and the heat of pan.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise mixture onto each French roll.
- Top each with a blackened salmon fillet, 2 slices of tomato and 1/4 cup of the shredded cabbage and serve.
- ***CAJUN SPICE MIX***.
- Mix all spice mix ingredients together. Store in a sealed ziploc bag.
- Makes about 2/3 cup spice mix.
Reminds me...life's too short to live anywhere other than Louisiana. Made for Bargain Basement Recipe Tag.