Recipe by Shirl (J) 831
This recipe is from The More Swamp Cooking cookbook. SheronBeth sent me this cookbook for my birthday. It is all Louisiana cooking.
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 quarts blackberries
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine melted butter, milk, eggs, 1 cup sugar and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to liquid and stir. Do not overmix.
- In large skillet, combine water, 2 1/2 cups sugar and blackberries. Cook over medium heat till mixture thickens.
- Drop dumpling batter by the spoonful into blackberry mixture and cook dumplings till they rise. Test with fork. When fork comes out clean, remove dumplings and continue with remaining batter.
- Serve dumplings warm, topped with blackberry mixture. ** I do not know how many this makes so I guessed it anyone works it out let me know.