Recipe by Kaccy G.
This is a heavenly version of Olive Garden's Black Tie Mousse Cake.
Top Review by andypandy
Made this today for our Christmas dessert... the chocolate cake makes two cakes...one is to be frozen for another time...this does not state that... mousses were very easy to make and both tastey. I made this in advance and froze.. the day of serving I made the gnache toppong...easy and very rich...it also made a cup to much as I did not make rossettes for top... Also a tip would be to make sure the cake bottom layer is nice and even to match the shocolate mousse and custard layers in sizes... many raves on this...but please remember this is very rich, the gnache makes it this way.... thanks for the recipe, and I will make it again with a few assembly changes..
- 1 (18 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (or whatever quantity your cake mix calls for)
- 3 eggs (or whatever quantity your cake mix calls for)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (or whatever quantity your cake mix calls for)
Second Layer Dark Cream Cheese Mousse
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
Third Layer Italian Custard Mousse
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 3⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Fourth Layer Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 18 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake according to package directions using 2 round cake pans.
- When cake is cool, remove from pans and make a collar out of wax paper about 4 inches taller than each cake.
- Second Layer: Dark Cream Cheese Mousse.
- Melt chocolate and cream cheese together.
- Let cool.
- Soften gelatin with cold water for one minute then add boiling water.
- Stir until dissolved and clear.
- Let this cool while you start whipping the heavy cream and sugar.
- Continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Add 1/4 of the cream to the chocolate mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Fold this into the remaining cream.
- Once you have completed, spread onto cake and refrigerate.
- Third Layer:Italian Custard Mousse.
- Beat egg yolks until pale.
- Add sugar, flour and gelatin, beating until mixed.
- Bring cream and vanilla to a boil.
- Add a small amount of cream to egg mixture while stirring.
- Gradually add until all of the cream has been added and then pour entire mixture through a strainer into the pan.
- Continue to cook until custard begins to thicken.
- Cool slightly and pour on top of chocolate mousse.
- Freeze while getting the icing ready.
- Fourth Layer:Dark Chocolate Ganache.
- Bring butter and cream to a boil.
- Pour over chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir until smooth.
- Let cool to slightly warmer than room temperature until it starts to thicken.
- Remove cake from freezer and remove the collar.
- Pour some of the ganache over top of cake and spread it evenly across top and sides.
- While the ganache is still wet, cover sides of cake with chocolate chips.
- Let remaining ganache cool and pipe through decorating bag onto cake.