From Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, 2006 Edition. Cherries should be pitted, coarsely chopped, then packed to measure 3 cups. Recipe suggests serving with cheese, tucked into ice cream balls to make tartufo, or spread between cake layers or cookie sandwiches. Directions assume knowledge of hot water bath canning procedures. If you are new to canning, the cookbook mentioned above contains wonderfully detailed canning instructions. Another good resource is the Ball Blue Book.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare canner, jars, and lids.
- 2In a bowl, combine sugar and cocoa. Stir well.
- 3In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine cherries and lemon juice. Stir in cocoa mixture. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down.
- 4Stir in pectin. Boil hard, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in Amaretto. Remove from heat and skim off foam.
- 5Ladle hot preserves into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and add hot preserves if needed. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band tight.
- 6Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil, then process for 10 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Forest Preserves
Serving Size: 1 (2083 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 776.1
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 200.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 194.3 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: