Recipe by GertieGirl
I have been playing around with muffin recipes, as my daughter has egg and nut allergies, so if she is going to get muffins, they have to be homemade. We had just harvested cherries and have a lot around, so I decided to work on a recipe to use them in a muffin. These turned out very tender and moist! Don't let the zucchini keep you away from this recipe.. you won't even know it's there. DH ate 3 muffins before I told him, and he didn't believe me! This could easily be vegan if you replace the buttermilk with soymilk and a Tbs of lemon juice. We'll keep it our little secret that these are healthy!
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 118.29 ml applesauce
- 591.47 ml whole wheat flour
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 73.94 ml cocoa powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 59.14 ml oil
- 2 medium zucchini
- 473.18 ml cherries, pitted
- 118.29-177.44 ml buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine applesauce and baking powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Puree zucchini in food processor.
- Add cherries and pulse a couple times, until cherries are chunked up (you don't have to completely puree mixture, unless you have really picky eaters). You should have about 3-4 cups of mixture.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Add applesauce, oil and zucchini/cherry mixture.
- Add enough buttermilk to make a thick batter. Amount really varies depending on your flour, your cherry mixture, and on the humidity.
- Pour batter into muffin tin, about 3/4 full. (I don't use liners, I just spray tin with cooking spray).
- Bake @ 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.