Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
CHOCOLATE, CHERRIES, and COCONUT!!! These 3 make a very tasty dessert! Made into a sheet cake which easily cuts into pretty squares. An additional can of cherry pie filling made be used for topping. Best made a day ahead for flavors to meld. Use regular cake mix without pudding.
- 1 (18 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups coconut, flaked
- 1 (20 ounce) cherry pie filling
- 1 (8 ounce) Cool Whip (Extra Creamy)
- Using an electric mixer blend cake mix, vegetable oil, milk and eggs.
- Pour one-half of cake mixture into a greased and floured 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle with coconut.
- Spoon cherry pie filling over coconut.
- Pour remaining one-half of cake mixture and smooth out evenly.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 or 45 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Spread cool whip over entire cake.
- If desired, garnish with additional cherry pie filling.
- Keep refrigerated.
- Serve in squares and enjoy!
I made this cake for my father-in-law's birthday and it was so good! I left out the coconut because I don't like it and I loved the way it turned out!
Very, very good. I love cherry pie filling used in different things so this attracted me right away. The cake was so moist. I made it the way you said to do it but would leave out the coconut next time only because my hubby didn't care for the coconut in it. I liked it though. I will make this again. I may even try it with a white cake mix. It would be very pretty too. Even apple pie filling with a spice cake. Anyways, it was yummy and it is in my cookbook to stay. Thanks so much for sharing.