Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
I made this cake last night and put it together this morning. It has no eggs, dairy or butter in it. The only beef I have with the recipe is the cashew icing is a bit watery, and I'd use firmer cherries next time, the canned seem a bit runny. Other then that this is a wonderful recipe and worth taking the time to make. The cake is very moist and the hint of cherry liquor comes through just right. I baked my cake in two 8" round cake tins and cut each one in half thus having 4 layers instead of 3. This recipe came from the Vegetarian Times Cookbook. The cake is very sturdy which was great when cutting the layers in half and it takes the syrup very well and doesn't fall apart.
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or unbleached white flour)
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
FOR THE SYRUP
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 orange slices (or lemon and cut thin)
- 1⁄3 cup kirsch (or other cherry liquor or light golden rum)
FOR THE ICING
- 3⁄4 cup raw cashews
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 10 ounces firm tofu
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate (melted)
- 16 ounces pitted cherries (from a jar or frozen, drained...not maraschino)
- FOR THE CAKE:.
- Preheat oven to 350'F. Combine the liquid ingredients in a large bowl and whisk well.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and whisk into the liquid ingredients. Pour into a 9 in greased and floured cake pan and bake for about 35 minutes. It should be springy to the touch.
- Cool completely (I left mine over night) and remove from pan. Cut into 3 thin horizontal layers.
- FOR THE SYRUP:.
- Combine the water, honey and citrus slices in a small pan and oil for 3 minutes. Let cool, then add the kirsch or rum.
- Set aside.
- FOR THE ICING:.
- In a blender (like a vita mix) combine the cashews, water and vanilla. Blend well until smooth and creamy.
- Add the honey and tofu and blend again. Remove 2 cups of this mixture and set aside for the vanilla icing that will go on the top and sides of the cake.
- To the mixture left in the blender add the 3 ounces of melted chocolate. I used a 72% dark chocolate bar and melted the chocolate in the microwave.
- Blend it well and chill both of the icings before using. I put them in the fridge overnight.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:.
- Carefully remove the cake from its tin and with a gentle hand slice into 3 layers. Brush some syrup onto the bottom layer and spread half the chocolate icing on top of it.
- Place the middle cake layer on top of the bottom layer and brush it with more syrup and the rest of the chocolate icing. Put down a layer of cherries and dot with the vanilla icing to act as a glue. Put the top layer on.
- Brush it with the cherry syrup. Frost with the remaining cashew icing and decorate with the rest of the cherries.
- Chill for several hours before serving. The cake may be kept covered if your not serving it until the following day. After 3 days the icing may discolor.
- Bon Appetit!