1/3 Photos of Black Forest Cake
1 hr 15 mins
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
I made this cake last night and put it together this morning. It has no eggs, dairy or butter in it. The only beef I have with the recipe is the cashew icing is a bit watery, and I'd use firmer cherries next time, the canned seem a bit runny. Other then that this is a wonderful recipe and worth taking the time to make. The cake is very moist and the hint of cherry liquor comes through just right. I baked my cake in two 8" round cake tins and cut each one in half thus having 4 layers instead of 3. This recipe came from the Vegetarian Times Cookbook. The cake is very sturdy which was great when cutting the layers in half and it takes the syrup very well and doesn't fall apart.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or unbleached white flour)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
FOR THE SYRUP
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 orange slices (or lemon and cut thin)
- 1/3 cup kirsch (or other cherry liquor or light golden rum)
FOR THE ICING
- 1FOR THE CAKE:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350'F. Combine the liquid ingredients in a large bowl and whisk well.
- 3Sift together the dry ingredients and whisk into the liquid ingredients. Pour into a 9 in greased and floured cake pan and bake for about 35 minutes. It should be springy to the touch.
- 4Cool completely (I left mine over night) and remove from pan. Cut into 3 thin horizontal layers.
- 5FOR THE SYRUP:.
- 6Combine the water, honey and citrus slices in a small pan and oil for 3 minutes. Let cool, then add the kirsch or rum.
- 7Set aside.
- 8FOR THE ICING:.
- 9In a blender (like a vita mix) combine the cashews, water and vanilla. Blend well until smooth and creamy.
- 10Add the honey and tofu and blend again. Remove 2 cups of this mixture and set aside for the vanilla icing that will go on the top and sides of the cake.
- 11To the mixture left in the blender add the 3 ounces of melted chocolate. I used a 72% dark chocolate bar and melted the chocolate in the microwave.
- 12Blend it well and chill both of the icings before using. I put them in the fridge overnight.
- 13TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:.
- 14Carefully remove the cake from its tin and with a gentle hand slice into 3 layers. Brush some syrup onto the bottom layer and spread half the chocolate icing on top of it.
- 15Place the middle cake layer on top of the bottom layer and brush it with more syrup and the rest of the chocolate icing. Put down a layer of cherries and dot with the vanilla icing to act as a glue. Put the top layer on.
- 16Brush it with the cherry syrup. Frost with the remaining cashew icing and decorate with the rest of the cherries.
- 17Chill for several hours before serving. The cake may be kept covered if your not serving it until the following day. After 3 days the icing may discolor.
- 18Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Forest Cake
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.1
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 209.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 46.3 g
- Protein 8.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: