Recipe by Mrs. Doeinck
This is a wonderful black bean dish. My husband and I enjoy this, especially when it's cold out. This is also good for you! Serve with chips and salsa for a complete meal
Top Review by Lingering_Dream
I loved this recipe! I'm a big bean and rice fan, and this really hit the spot. I didn't have a bell pepper, so I left that out. I did add some sliced jalepanos to it for some extra spice. I topped the rice and beans with tortilla chips, low fat sour cream, and reduced-fat cheddar. I will be making this again!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium onion)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (1 large)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare brown rice according to package directions.
- While brown rice is cooking heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- lAdd garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Add water and next 7 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Place 1/4 to 1/2 cup rice in bowls and top with bean mixture. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tbsp cheese.