1/1 Photo of Black Bean & Sweet Potato Enchiladas
1 hr 5 mins
Yummy! Adapted from "Vegan Planet," this recipe is something my non-vegetarian hubby requests regularly. Roasting the sweet potatoes is absolutely the key to this recipe - I've cooked them other ways before and it turns out much less flavorful. It looks like a lot of ingredients, but it goes together quickly and makes great left overs too! In the future, I plan to try substituting homemade enchilada sauce for the salsa and more tomatoes. **Update: as some of the reviewers have noted, the cayenne pepper makes this a pretty spicy number! You may want to add less if you don't like the heat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil (for roasting potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for black bean mix)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 small hot chili peppers, seeded and minced (I use habenero)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups salsa
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup cheese
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely minced
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F Arrange diced sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and season with cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and black pepper (to taste). Roast for approximately 30-40 minutes or until tender. When potatoes are finished, reduce heat to 350°F.
- 2While the potatoes are roasting, heat 1 tbs olive oil in a large skillet. Add garlic, chilies, yellow onion, and green pepper until it begins to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add cumin and cayenne; cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
- 3Add black beans, tomatoes, and chili powder to the skillet. Simmer over low heat until the sweet potatoes have finished, allowing the mixture to cook down a bit. Once the sweet potatoes are out of the oven, add them to the black bean mixture and allow them to cook for 5 more minutes.
- 4Lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish and spread a thin layer of salsa on the bottom.
- 5Place a tortilla onto a flat work surface. Spoon a portion of the sweet potato/black bean mixture down the center; roll up the tortilla and place into baking dish. Continue until all tortillas are filled.
- 6Spoon any remaining sweet potato/black bean mixture on top of the tortillas. Top with remaining salsa, cheese, and minced red onion. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean & Sweet Potato Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.1
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 764.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 9.6 g