Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tastes like Panera Bread's Black Bean Soup.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped
- Soak beans overnight in water. The next day, rinse.
- In a medium non-stick pan over medium heat, heat the oil. Saute the onions, jalapenos and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, broth, cumin, coriander and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the flavors are blended, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the sherry, lime juice and salt. Let the mixture cool slightly.
- Transfer the soup to a food processor or blender. Puree in batches. Pour back into saucepan and heat to serving temperature. Top with scallions to serve.