Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
My wife and I cobbled together this recipe a couple of years ago, and we've been making AND EATING it ever since. It is even fairly healthy!
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed (or pinto beans if you're really hard up)
- 2 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (This is a recipe where less oil probably tastes best!)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice (If you use bottled juice, I may have to hurt you!)
- 3 tablespoons stemmed and chopped fresh cilantro leaves, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced pickled jalapeno pepper, more to taste
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 green onions, sliced,including both white and green parts
- In a medium bowl, whisk oil, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno peppers, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Add bell red and green peppers and both types of onions, and toss well.
- Add beans, and toss again.
- Cover, and refrigerate several hours or overnight, mixing occasionally.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary; extra salt and black pepper do wonders, even though Glenda gets upset if I add too much salt.
- Toss well before serving, or drain if desired (only if you are a real wimp!) This recipe should be doubled or tripled!
- It keeps a long time in the refrigerator, and it tastes great!
- Actually, the longer it sets, the better it tastes, so make it in advance if you can.
I really enjoyed this. The lime taste was great and a really refreshing treat!
Hey! This was really good! I've always wanted to try a bean salsa before, and this was a perfect one to start with; being that it was good and didn't turn me off to they on the first try. I liked it because it was very easy, and had a very fresh limey flavor (which I just love it dishes), and it went great with those "Hint Of Lime Corn Chips". I also think this would be good with grilled fish. In fact, I might just make it again to have it with some grilled fish, lol :). Well, thank you for this excellent recipe! I hope you keep up the good work.