Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Wow. All I can say is this is the most flavorful and delicious breakfast burrito I've ever had. I didn't have any cheese or sour cream in the house, and even without it I absolutely loved this. I used small corn tortillas in place of flour tortillas, and I chopped up the potato instead of grating and left the skin on. This is a definite make-again recipe, and that doesn't happen very often for me. If you want to make these for dinner try adding chopped red pepper and/or corn and some crumbled chorizo sausauge with the onion. This is supposed to serve 4, but if you have guests you may want to double the recipe. Recipe courtesy of Spilling the Beans.
- 10 inches flour tortillas, 4
- canola oil or olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 yukon gold potatoes or 1 red potatoes, coarsely grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups black beans (cooked, rinsed and drained if using canned)
- 1⁄3 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 -6 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese (crumbled or shredded) or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese (crumbled or shredded) or 1⁄2 cup feta cheese (crumbled or shredded)
- 1 avocados (sliced) or 1⁄2 cup guacamole
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- If you like, wrap your tortillas in foil and put them in a 300 degree oven to warm as you make the filling.
- In a heavy skillet, heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onion and potato for about 5 minutes, until soft and starting to turn golden.
- Add the beans, salsa, chili powder, salt, and pepper and cook for a few more minutes, slightly smushing some of the beans with the back of your spoon, until heated through.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl or push it aside in the skillet, add a little more oil, and crack in the eggs.
- Stir the eggs around with a spoon or spatula to scramble them.
- Divide the bean mixture among the warmed tortillas, spreading it down the middle and leaving space on the sides and at both ends.
- Top with scrambled egg, cheese, avocado or guacamole, and some fresh cilantro.
- Fold over one long side to cover, fold over both short ends, then roll the whole thing over to close up into a package.
- Serve warm, with extra salsa and/or sour cream.