Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From ourhealthcoop.com, credited to member Caesar Fiorini.
- 3⁄4 ancho chili
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 (10 ounce) canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1⁄3 cups vegetable broth or 1 1⁄3 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 10 ounces pumpkin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat ancho pepper in dry skillet over medium heat until softened; remove chili and discard veins and seeds.
- Add cumin seeds to skillet; cook until toasted, about 30 seconds (watch carefully and do not burn).
- Process ancho chili, cumin seeds, black beans, onions, garlic, broth, and water at high speed in blender until smooth.
- Transfer bean mixture to saucepan; stir in pumpkin and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 5 minutes; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls; sprinkle with cilantro. This soup can also be served chilled.
- You can make this soup 2-3 days in advance; it can be frozen up to 2 months.