Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I usually don't post recipes I've never tried - here's the first one. It's from a pasta bag, presumably egg noodles! This sounded really good (except I would omit the mushrooms - can't stand them), so I thought I would post it. If you try it before I do, please write a review. UPDATE: I made this for dinner tonight and it was really good, though I 'swerved' for the original directions. I cooked the ground beef (crumbled) with the next six ingredients, and then followed the directions from step # 5 on. This one-pan meal came out really nice - I omitted the red wine, didn't have any, so I used extra broth. DH gave it a "4" for 1st effort - I think I will add 2x the worshestershire or a minced green pepper next time I make it. And I will definitely make it again -- definite comfort food material!
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 8 ounces prepared medium-width egg noodles
- In medium bowl combine beef, minced onion, Worchestershire and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Shape into 1-inch meatballs (about 24).
- In large skillet melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion wedges, garlic and mushrooms; saute 8-10 minutes or until browned.
- Add broth, meatballs, carrots, salt, thyme and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium; simmer, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes.
- Combine red wine and corn starch; stir until smooth. Stir into skillet.
- Stirring constantly, bring to boil; boil 1 minute.
- Place prepared egg noodles on a serving platter; top with meatballs and sauce.
I made this almost as written. I minced the onions rather than cutting them into wedges and used shredded carrots rather than chopped. I think we would have preferred to crumble the meat as suggested in the recipe introduction. Made for ZWT8.
I made this tonight. After reading your update, I also crumbled meat & added more worcestershire. I did end up doubling the wine & cornstarch because we really like sauces. Made for your Football pool win. Congrats!`
This is an easy and delicious dish! I didn't put the onions in the meatballs, otherwise made as specified. The sauce was just terrific with the wine and thyme shining through. Next time I may add some breadcrumbs to the meat so that the meatballs would be a little firmer. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe!