Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Golden biscuits and cheese top a delicious taco pie in a cast-iron skillet. This is a one-dish meal or serve with Ranch- Style or chili beans.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies (mild or original Ro-Tel)
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) whole kernel corn
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup self-rising flour (soft wheat like Martha White or Lilly )
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (or other oil)
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 pinch baking soda (if buttermilk is used)
- self-rising flour, for surface
- Taco Pie:.
- In a 9 inch skillet or dutch oven (I like cast iron), cook the ground beef until gray and drain.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until soft.
- Drain the corn and Ro-Tel tomatoes, reserving the drained liquid.
- Add the taco seasoning package and cook according to the package directions, using the reserved liquid.
- Add the tomatoes, corn and water and simmer gently while making the biscuits.
- To the flour, add the baking soda if using buttermilk.
- Mix and make a well in the flour.
- Add oil and milk, stirring as you add it until the dough is on the verge of being too wet.
- Place the dough on a well-floured surface.
- With floured hands, shape the dough, not kneading more than 2 or 3 times, adding flour needed to keep the dough from sticking.
- Pat out to 3/8 inch thickness and cut into 8 biscuits 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Place the biscuits on the taco pie and place in a 450 F oven.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until brown, sprinkling cheese between the biscuits for the last 5 minutes.