Ranch Style Beans
photo by dianegrapegrower
- Ready In:
- 1 lb dry pinto beans
- 5 cups cold water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 4 ounces ham hocks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons combination of california chili powder (New Mexico, Hungarian Paprika. All Mild)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (for spicier beans add another 1/2 Tsp)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons onion powder or 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (add in the last 30 min only)
- 1⁄4 cup tomato puree (add in the last 30 min only)
- Wash beans and place in a large pot or kettle. Add water and remaining ingredients (except salt and tomato puree, which should be added in the last 30 minutes before beans are done). Cover and simmer for 5 to 6 hours. Check liquid level occasionally and add more water (add boiling water, never cold) as needed to keep beans covered.
- If cooked in a crock pot, (you will need extra cup of water if you did not pre-soak) and cook them on the low setting. It also may take a little longer than the 5 to 6 hours.
- Note: You can reduce cooking time by soaking beans overnight or using or (1 Hour soak method).
- Add ¼ Cup of tomato puree with additional 1 tsp brown sugar in the last hour. Adjust salt and sugar to your liking.
Questions & Replies
Your recipe calls for a combination of California chili powder and lists New Mexico & Hungarian Paprika. What is New Mexico chili powder? I haven't been able to locate it online or in any stores. Can I substitute regular chili powder instead? (FYI, for those having difficulty locating Hungarian Paprika, I found it at Target.)
I now live in France and, like every one, I crave the foods I can't get here. There are ingredients in your recipe that I can't get here but since I wanted Ranch Style Bean, I made do. I bought and then rinced 3 small cans of red beans, used lardons fume (real bacon bits - because a ham hock is too big for a small pot), used dried onion flakes, and added 1 tsp of sweet paprika. It took 15 minutes to prepare and is delicious! Thank you!
We LOVE these beans. I make large batches of plain beans and store them in the freezer so I start the recipe with cooked beans and cover with water then add the ingredients and boil until the flavors are well melded. We don't eat meat so we omit the hamhocks and the tomato paste per our tastes and decreased the brown sugar. I use a mix of smoked paprika and chili powder. I make these at least once a week and serve them with rice. I make extra so I can have leftovers for lunch. This is my favorite bean recipe.
see 4 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Las Vegas. I was lucky enough to run into Recipezaar around Nov. 2000 and got hooked quickly. I am a cookbook collector and have been collecting recipes for as long as I can remember. My DH had to build in shelves for all my cookbooks! I like to dabble with OAMC and for a few years hosted the Budget/OAMC forum with some great people over there. Even though I don't work in the forum any longer I've set up a lot of cookbooks for the purpose of OAMC and stretching food that might be helpful. Please feel free to check them out! I go on food jags and cooking jags! Please come say hi to me and chat on facebook. I currently host a blog for saving money through finding deals and coupons if you are interested. Most of the time I try to cook and have a good dinner on the table but I'll be honest enough to say there is still fast food occasionally in the budget! I have had such wonderful support here whenever I need it. Thank you all for being here! Just a quick note on how I rate recipes: ? 5 stars - This recipe is perfect. (My DH is truly a critic and doesn't give 5's unless it's amazing) I would recommend it to others and would definitely make again. ? 4 stars - This recipe was good but I would change something in it next time. ? 3 stars - This is a recipe I would not make again but it was OK ? 2 stars - This recipe I would not make again and we didn't like it at all ? 1 star - This recipes did not work out/taste was unappealing and wouldn't make again