Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My hubby and kiddos ALWAYS ask me to make this. Since I can't make it every night, as per request, I tell them I will always make it on their birthdays and at least once a month!! I always have, on hand, the ingredients to make this which makes it easy too! Great recipe!
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 -2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (to your liking)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion (I have never made it with onion)
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce (any will do, you can omit this, but I find it adds a special flavor)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup ketchup (sauce ingredients)
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar (sauce ingredients)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard (sauce ingredients)
- cooked rice, to spoon meat loaf over
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and milk.
- Stir in the cheese, onion, oats and salt.
- Add the meat and BBQ sauce and mix WELL with your hands.
- Shape into 6 equal size loaves (they will be round) and place in a greased (with PAM) 8 X 8 inch pan or glass dish.
- Sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients and stir well.
- Spoon sauce over each loaf so it is well covered. Leave a little sauce for putting over the rice.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Serve over rice -- ENJOY!
- **I always double the sauce ingredients so I can have extra to pour over the rice after it is cooked.
WOW! My husband and kids both hate meatloaf, but I had a craving and needed to make some. I chose this recipe and am so glad that I did. When I told them I was making meatloaf, they all turned up their noses. Guess what? They all LOVED this recipe!! I'm thrilled that I have finally found a meatloaf recipe that can be enjoyed by all! I think it was the bbq flavor that made the difference for my family. I made one and a half for the amount of sauce, so I would have extra to spoon over rice. Oh, the rice...make sure to serve this over rice! It's a perfect match. (Rice is recommended by the chef but not included in the recipe list. ) I used 1 1/4 pounds of ground round. The end result of this meatloaf recipe is tender, moist, flavorful and saucy! Thank you for posting!! P.S. My husband hates cheese. I used 1 cup of cheese in this recipe and no one noticed!! I think it added to the recipe in terms of texture and moistness, but could not detect the taste as cheese. :) ~Made for Spring 2009 Pick-A-Chef~
Great meatloaf! Easy to make, great texture, lots of flavor, loved the sauce! My loaves got kind of round as they cooked but were still perfectly done after 45 minutes. This was loved by all - thanks for posting the recipe! Made for Spring PAC 2009
This was wonderful! I can so see her husband and children wanting this all the time! My friends at work tried mine and all wanted the recipe!