One of my favorite desserts. You can make a 9x13 sheet cake, or choose a 3-layer cake. Most of the time I just use a can or two of lemon pie filling, but if you'd like to make your own microwave-easy lemon curd, The recipe is included (which is best made by making the lemon curd the day before. Makes 3 1/2 cups of curd).
- 1 (20 ounce) can lemon pie filling
Optional Homemade Lemon Curd
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box strawberry cake mix (Duncan Hines)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 12 ounces Cool Whip
- fresh strawberries (garnish)
- LEMON CURD: In a microwave safe bowl mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, egg yolks, half and half, and lemon juice. Whisk until blended.
- Place in the microwave and cook on high for 2 minutes. Remove and whisk to smooth. Repeat this two times until pudding has thickened.
- Add in the butter and vanilla. Mix well until the butter is melted.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly on top of the filling and chill at least 4 hours (overnight is best).
- CAKE: Make cake according to package directions. (You can either make a 9x13 cake or a layer cake. I usually use 3 round cake pans, and make a tri-tier cake). Cool completely.
- ASSEMBLY: Spread lemon curd over top of cake for a 9x13, and top of first and second layer only if making a layer cake.
- Spread cool whip over top (and sides if making a layer cake). Refrigerate 4-8 hours.
- Garnish with fresh strawberry slices. Serve. (Keep leftovers refrigerated).