Lemon Cake With Lemon Filling and Lemon Butter Frosting
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8 inch round pans. Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- To make filling: In medium saucepan, mix together 1 tablespoon lemon zest, 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth. Mix in 6 tablespoons butter and 3/4 cup sugar, and bring mixture to boil over medium heat. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly. In small bowl, with a wire whisk, beat egg yolks until smooth. Whisk in a small amount of the hot lemon mixture. Pour the egg mixture into the sauce pan, beating the hot lemon mixture rapidly. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes, or until thick (not to boil).
- Pour mixture into medium bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface to keep skin from forming as it cools. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate 3 hours.
- To make frosting: In large bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup butter, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 teaspoon lemon zest until smooth. Beat in milk, and increase speed and continue to beat until light and fluffy.
- To assemble: With long serrated knife, split each cake layer in half horizontally, making 4 layers. Place 1 layer, cut side up, on a serving plate. Spread with half of the lemon filling. Top with another layer, and spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Add third layer, and spread with remaining half of the lemon filling. Press on final cake layer, and frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Refrigerate cake until serving time.
This made a really good cake! After reading the recipe carefully, and some of the other reviews, I also added about a TBL lemon zest and 3-4 TBL lemon juice to the batter to make it a real lemon cake (and used a little less milk). I skipped the filling and just used extra lemon frosting in between the layers. I also doubled the recipe so I could have 3 round cakes to stacks (the extra batter could go towards cupcakes). All in all, it was a winner!
see 11 more reviews