Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Delicious potato soup using red potato's and lots of onion. It gets even better when the soup is refigerated overnight.
- 3 lbs red potatoes, skin on and cubed
- 4 -5 garlic cloves
- 3 medium onions
- 5 carrots
- 9 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- Do not peel potatoes, cut them in 1 inch squares, set aside.
- Dice 5 carrots, no need to peel, set aside.
- dice onion and mince garlic.
- in large soup pan, sautee garlic and onion in oil or butter for aprox 5 minutes.
- pour vegetable broth into pan, add carrots and potatoes.
- wait until liquid comes to a boil, turn on medium-low and cook for 25 minutes or until both carrots and potatoes are done.
- blend half the soup mixture in blender or magic bullet, return to pan.
- Add cream or half-and-half, add basil, parsley and dill, salt and pepper. cook on low for 10-15 minutes.
This recipe turned out great. I ended up using two cups less chicken stock and no cream. I added bacon and chedder cheese.
This turned out well. You can really taste the dill, so you have to like that. I used 2 TB minced dried onion for the fresh, 1 can chopped carrots (added at end), used water + bullion for the broth, 1 12 oz can of evap milk for cream, used dried spices and put in 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp Molly Mcbutter. Makes a lot of soup. Almost too full for my 4 qt dutch oven. My family of 5 only ate about half of it, although we had rolls with it too.