Prep 45 mins
Cook 11 hrs
In ‘ Slow Cooker Revolution’ by ATK
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and minced
- 1⁄4 cup minced celery
- 1⁄4 teaspoon tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme (or 1/4 t. dried)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 slices white bread, torn in to quarters
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 lbs ground beef (or meatloaf mix)
- Melt butter in 12-inch skillet over med-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, tomato paste, garlic, and thyme and cook until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in wine, scraping up any browned bits; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir tomatoes in slow cooker.
- Mash bread and heavy cream into paste in large bowl using fork.
- Mix in meatloaf mix, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper using hands.
- Stir meatloaf mixture into slow cooker, breaking up any large pieces.
- Cover and cook until beef is tender, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- Let sauce settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Break up any remaining large pieces of meat with spoon.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Makes enough sauce for 3 lb. pasta.