Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love minestrone but lost my favorite recipe. I found this in Better Homes & Garden magazine and the ingredients sounded so fresh I had to try it. Now my family is glad I lost the other one! This cooks up fast, but is even better if let to rest for a couple of hours before re-heating and serving (great leftovers!)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow sweet pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup mostaccioli pasta
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil (fresh- coarsely chopped)
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves (fresh)
- parmesan cheese
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook garlic and onion in hot oil until tender. Add sweet pepper, zucchini, broth, and 2 cups water. Bring to boiling. Rinse and drain beans. Add drained beans and pasta; return to boil. Reduce heat. and simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes, spinach, and fresh basil (if using). Remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
- Top with Parmesan cheese. Serves 6.
Great soup. I added extra garlic and an extra zucchini. My husband told me 4 times during dinner how wonderful it was. :) Thanks.
This soup was delicious! The only thing I changed was to leave out the green beans (personal preference) and I added a can of diced tomatoes instead of the fresh. It was so yummy. I made a loaf of parmesan bread with it and had the family scraping out the last of it from the pan! Thanks Grace for posting! :)