Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This delicious recipe is from my local Indian restaurant.
Make and share this Bhagari Jhinga (Coconut Curry Shrimp) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 5 cups cooked rice
- In a medium bowl, stir together tomato paste, salt, sugar, garam masala, ground cumin seed, ground red pepper, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, lemon juice, and coconut milk. Set coconut sauce aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, and cook until they begin to pop. Immediately stir in garlic, and cook until garlic begins to brown.
- Add shrimp, and cook until shrimp is opaque; this should take only a minute or two. Pour the coconut sauce over the shrimp; cook until the sauce begins to simmer.
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and water; stir into the sauce, and continue cooking until thick.