Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This delicious recipe is from my local Indian restaurant.
Make and share this Bhagari Jhinga (Coconut Curry Shrimp) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 5 cups cooked rice
- In a medium bowl, stir together tomato paste, salt, sugar, garam masala, ground cumin seed, ground red pepper, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, lemon juice, and coconut milk. Set coconut sauce aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, and cook until they begin to pop. Immediately stir in garlic, and cook until garlic begins to brown.
- Add shrimp, and cook until shrimp is opaque; this should take only a minute or two. Pour the coconut sauce over the shrimp; cook until the sauce begins to simmer.
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and water; stir into the sauce, and continue cooking until thick.