Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
These sweet cupcakes are fabulously moist and yummy, with dried cherries stepping in for the more conventional raisin, and orange-flavored cream cheese icing to top them off.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil or 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups carrots, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (1 orange)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- For Cupcakes:.
- Preheat oven to 350. Set paper cupcake liners in 2 muffin pans to make room for 24 cupcakes (my muffin pans have 12 spots each). In an electric stand mixer, combine sugar, oil, and applesauce. Add eggs one at a time. Then add dry ingredients and mix to combine. Add carrots, nuts, and cherries, and mix again. Fill each cupcake liner with about 1/2 cup of batter.
- Place on middle rack of oven and bake until set, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow cupcakes to cool.
- For Frosting:.
- Combine all ingredients in electric stand mixer and blend for several minutes until all lumps of powdered sugar disappear.
- You can frost the cupcakes by dunking them upside down into the frosting, twisting, and flicking a cute little peak over on top when you pull them out.
- I like to put a dried cherry or a sliver of crystallized ginger on top.