Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
The dry white wine is a wonderful addition, and may be ommitted if you like. From Copykat.com (http://www.copykat.com)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lbs yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 8 cups beef stock
- 2 cups dry white wine
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Over medium heat melt 3 tablespoons of the butter, and the olive oil in a large heavy stockpot.
- Add sliced onions, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Increase heat to high, remove lid, add sugar, and salt.
- Sauté, stirring often until onions are very soft, and a deep golden brown.
- Reduce heat to medium, sprinkle in flour, and cook stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add about 2 cups of stock and stir to blend, and then add the remaining beef stock and wine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Brush hamburger buns with remaining butter,and place bread in oven, and let this brown.
- When the bread as browned remove it from the oven.
- Gather 8 small oven proof bowls, and spoon in soup, add one bun half, and then fill bowl with soup.
- Add one slice of provolone, and place soup bowls in a baking dish, and place into oven.
- When the cheese has toasted remove.
- You may also wish to use a baguette if you have it on hand.
- You do not need to place the soup back into the oven.
- You can simply top with cheese and serve.
Have tried several recipes for French Onion Soup - several from here, several from epicurious and this is by far the easiest and the most tasty. The only thing I changed is adding one bay leaf, a little extra salt, a teaspoon of thyme and I used french bread and gryere cheese. Just a personal preference. I have gone by the recipe to a t as well and it was still really good though.
Tried this French Onion Soup recipe todayand was very impressed as was my girlfriend. Its a keeper.
Very tasty. I cut the recipe down to 2 servings and it worked out very well.