Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is a lower carbohydrate stew. There are no potatoes in it, but I did put in carrots. Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you. You can just chop up all the vegetables while the beef is boiling away, and take your time doing it. I cut everything up and put it in a bowl. Then just dumped the whole bowl in to the pot at the right time. It really is yummy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pushed through a press
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups red wine (Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 2 cups water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into chunks
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 2 turnips, peeled & cut into 1/2 to 3/4 pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 -2 carrot, peeled & cut into round chunks, then cut chunks in half
- Toss beef with herbs, paprika, 2 teaspoons salt and the ground black pepper. Heat the oil in bottom of heavy stew pot over medium-high heat. Brown the beef; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter in same pot. Add chopped onion; cook 7 to 8 minutes until onions begin to brown. Add garlic during last 2 minutes of cooking time. Add reserved meat and accumulated juices, bay leaf, wine and water. Bring to a boil. Cover, lower to a strong simmer and cook for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, taste, (will taste very “winey” - will not taste this way in another hour) and if needed, add 1 teaspoon salt. Then add bullion cube. Stir and bring back to simmer. Cover and simmer for 1 more hour, until beef is tender. (liquid will reduce).
- Stir in vegetables and beef broth; simmer 15 – 30 minutes more.
Good recipe. Very tasty. I made it in the pressure cooker, if you do this halve the liquid.