Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I think I clipped this recipe out of the newspaper years ago. It is always a huge hit at picnics, barbecues and get togethers. It's a nice change from the more traditional baked beans. I can't even begin to guess how many times I have handed out the recipe.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pork and beans
- 2 (16 ounce) cans lima beans, drained
- Brown beef, bacon and onion in large skillet. Drain.
- Combine all ingredients except beans, mix well.
- Add beans and stir gently.
- Bake one hour in a 325 to 350 oven (or until hot a bubbly).
- This recipe can easily be cut in half since it makes a rather large batch. I only use half the bacon. If you would like, you could add some more beef if cutting back on the bacon.
I have been so lucky to have eaten this exact recipe for over 13 years and it only gets better each time! It is VERY easy to make and is ALWAYS a hit. I don't do much cooking but I will do this and take the credit for it. :-) Now if my mother in law would make me a recipe book- I just might start cooking regularly. :D